It takes Talent


As many of you know, I have started running in the last 5 months or so. I had a great partner and we followed a great routine to build up from being able to run for 30 seconds to running 2 miles. We had a goal to run a 5k on January 24th. My great running partner went to Utah for the holidays and the kids were out of school and I was worried about how I was going to run with all 3 kids at home. Brad luckily decided to take some vacation days and he was home the majority of the holidays so I was able to go running.  I went running on Monday the 29th and I ran about 2 miles when a terrible pain started in my shin, I tried to run through the pain, but I decided it wasn't going to happen and I walked the rest of the way home. Let's just say that after 11 days of pain and it not really getting better I went to the Dr. ( mostly because Brad was making me) and it turns out I have a stress fracture to my right leg. I have a lovely black boot that I have to wear and some wonderful crutches. I get to go get an MRI and go back to the Dr. next week. I hope Brad enjoys the I told you so moment because it doesn't happen often. But he was right I needed to go to the Dr. It takes talent to get a fracture running down the street doing nothing at all. I didn't step on anything or trip or fall off a curb, it was really just my running capability or the lack there of. I included a picture so you can enjoy the sight. Sorry Jennifer, No 5K for me on January 24th. I can come cheer you on though!

10 comments:

  Heather

January 10, 2009 at 11:20 AM

That just figures huh? Here you are trying to improve your health and now you have a fracture! LOL Sorry, hope it heals quickly for ya.

  Bree

January 10, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Way to go on getting up to 2 miles. That sounds impossible for me right now. Sorry about the leg and hope it gets better soon. I love all the pictures of your kids. They are so cute.

  Blarney Girl

January 10, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Oi! Had to wear one of those for about 6 weeks a few years ago and it was not pleasant, but at least I could walk. Hope you're not in too much pain and not too bummed out about missing the run. The Rodeo Run 10k/5k is Feb 28. Maybe you could aim for that. :D

http://www.conocophillipsrodeorun.com/index.htm

  Jason and Lissa

January 10, 2009 at 2:53 PM

It sounds exactly like something that would happen to me, which is why I don't run!

  Marly

January 10, 2009 at 11:18 PM

I'm so sorry. That's just plain rude! Maybe there will be another 5k you can run, later of course.
Very cool you've gotten up to 2 miles!

  Melissa/McRae

January 10, 2009 at 11:30 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that! I have another friend who is dealing with that same thing. I hope it heals right and heals quick too. I've started to run again since being here at my parents house...I hope I don't get one if they are going around!!

  Grant Family

January 14, 2009 at 3:07 PM

HI!!!! Its been way too long and I miss chatting with you. I am so proud that you are a runner now! Maybe we can run a marathon together someday. its my dream, and it will probably kill me but I so want to try. Your family is adorable and I am still sad that I didnt get to see you. I am so wanting to some to Texas right about now. Why di i live here???!!! Hope all is well. Tell Brad hello and get that leg better. Love you!
Emily

  elizabeth

January 15, 2009 at 4:11 AM

Aww I hope you feel better. Clay got a stress fracture in his foot because he jumped off the roof. (Such a guy thing to do). Even after the wife said, "Honey, I don't think that's such a good idea".

  Unknown

January 18, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Oh man! That is sooooo fun. I know just what you are experiencing. Best time of my life. McRae had to do everything for me!

  Anonymous

January 27, 2009 at 10:07 PM

I wanted to let you know that I do not have a stress fracture...so no big black boot for me...sorry to leave you in the big black boot club all on your own!!! :)